Navy Yellow Chevron

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Paci

Two weeks ago something big happened at bedtime.  After coming out of his room twice for various reasons, on the third time I was about to get upset with him when I saw this look of terror on his face.  I instead asked what was the matter and he said "Can you help me find my paci???"  I said sure, it probably just fell on the floor.  He started to cry with the same look of utter terror on his face, and said "Its down there, its down our building."   I then realized that he had been standing next to his open window looking out (it has a mesh safety screen covering it, but the openings are about 2 inches by 2 inches - plenty large for a pacifier to pass through), and it must have fallen down.

Jimmy and I looked at each other trying to decide what to do - look for it, give another to him, or just take this opportunity to move on beyond the world of the pacifier.   Jimmy did go down to look for it in the parking lot below, and did find it, but decided it was a good opportunity and so told Caleb that it wasn't there.  Caleb then wanted to go down with him to look for himself, too.  After 'no luck' on the second search trip, Caleb said to Jimmy "I'm sorry for losing my paci," and was calm and not crying when he returned upstairs.  The first night had a difficult first 4 hours, and the week following was a challenging one, but this week he has not asked for it once, even though he sees Landon with one.  A new world for Caleb and he is now doing pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment