Navy Yellow Chevron

Monday, January 28, 2013

Caleb's first day of school

Today was Caleb's first day of school!  It feels so strange to write that, especially since in my mind, he wouldn't be starting school (preschool) until August, but we realized that it could be a really good opportunity and experience for him here, for additional socialization, and the language of course!  So last night I slept terribly with my mind running all night, just like we do when we know there is something big going on the next day.  Thankfully Caleb slept well, and slept later than usual, which helped get him through to a later nap time today!

We found a little preschool near our house called "Jardin Infantil Pipo" that came recommended by several people we've met, and were able to spend a few hours there last week letting Caleb play and participate with the activities to see if he felt comfortable.  He was quite excited to go today, and also for the cooking theme he knew they would be doing this week.

Caleb will only go Monday - Thursday mornings this week, as it is actually the end of the summer workshop series for the kids - basically a lighter version of the normal preschool schedule, and then the school will be closed for the month of February because its summer here and that is when everyone goes on vacation (just like in Spain during the month of August - family members might remember that from when Jimmy and I were over there...).  If all goes well this week, we are planning to send Caleb for half days during the entire month of March, which is when the regular school year starts here.



He was already anxious to go inside and be done with pictures...
The school is in this beautiful old colonial style house....

This is Caleb's classroom

The red table is the one he sits at, and of course he spotted all the trucks and tractors on the shelves the very first day :)

This was actually from last week when he went to play and check the school out.  Having fun already.

In the background is "Tia Angeles" (the ladies that work there are called 'tias')


I did get a phone call about an hour and a half into the morning that Caleb was asking for me, and he started to cry a little when they put him on to say hi to me, and the director said I should probably come see him.  I expected him to be crying and ready to come home, but I was happy to find that I didn't hear any crying when I walked back into the school, and the other tias told me that he had calmed down and that they would bring him out to say hi to me so he could see me.  I then expected that he might cry and want to go home with me once he saw me, which he has done on other occasions, but he just came and gave me a hug, I held him for a few minutes, then he asked if he could go back in and do the cooking with the class, saying "What do you think we will cook today?  Maybe it will be Tamale Pie..." (one of his favorites).  I stayed at the school the rest of the morning, but out of the room so he could have his own space, and he ended up making it until 15 minutes before the end of school when tia Angeles brought him to me with the pizza he had created in his class.

"Pizza" - a slice of bread, tomato sauce, a slice of ham, slice of cheese, and red bell pepper and salami on top.  They told me to put it in the oven when he got home to melt it, but of course Caleb wanted to eat it right then, so he had it cold and unmelted, but didn't mind a bit!  
As we were getting our pizza ready to take on the walk home with us, I was so happy to hear Caleb ask  if he could come back again.  I excitedly answered, "Yes, how about tomorrow?"  Overall a pretty good first day of school, considering he hasn't staying for that length of time without me, and in a place where is broad (English) vocabulary doesn't help him out very much.  Hopefully tomorrow we can make it the whole three hours without a phone call... :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Caleb!! I love to see your pictures and hear the stories!! Caleb looks very proud of his "pizza" and thank you for sharing this special day!
    We too, will pray with you for Caleb to have a wonderful time interacting with the other kids and getting better at his spanish!!

    Praying also for your health and relationships!! We truly miss you all and think of you often!

    Love your blog, it is amazing!! Thanks for the update today! I just realized I need to read something about the church??

    Lots of love and prayers to all of you!! <3 <3 <3 <3
    Terri (for Mark) as well!!

    ReplyDelete