Navy Yellow Chevron

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Bits and Pieces about Caleb

It has been a while since I've recorded Caleb's likes, habits, and funny little quirks.  Here are some of his recent happenings...

Caleb is doing a lot more singing and reciting things that he hears lately.  He can just about say the whole Lord's Prayer, which we do at bedtime each night.  We've gotten to the point where I say the first word if he is stuck, and he finishes the sentences.  He even corrected me one night when I said it slightly differently.

He also sings some song he knows (or maybe has made up...) of "The Lord is Good" over and over, or other days its combined with the Flag Salute, which they are learning at preschool.  This was the most recent one I overheard him saying:  "The Lord is Good, the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, liberty and justice for all.  Now, today we are going to have snack first.  Potty and wash."

Since I have been teaching some preschool Spanish classes on the side it has resparked Caleb's interest in Spanish.  We listen to my Spanish class cd in the car often, and his favorite song has been 'Saco una manito', a cute song about hiding your hands behind your back, taking one out at a time, making it dance, closing it, opening it, and hiding it behind you again.  He has down most of the lyrics of the first part:  "Saco la manito la hago bailar, la cierro, la abro, la vuelvo a guardar." 

Along with his singing is also coming more dancing.  This is "The Caleb Dance," as daddy has dubbed it <Video below or click here>


Many days Caleb will insist on sleeping in his 'running hat'.  He loves that hat. This day he also insisted on sleeping on the floor of his room.  And now that the weather is getting colder he has started wearing his 49ers beanie during naptime instead.



Other days (most days) when he sleeps in his bed he will sometimes call it his 'kayak' (something daddy started I think?) and his asks us occasionally to sleep in his kayak with him.  I don't do it very often because I definitely don't want to start a habit of it, but every now and then Jimmy or I will lay there with him until he falls asleep.  I try to remind myself that this is something we will look back on fondly when he is older. :)

This past few weeks he is getting into playing make-believe games - his favorite of which is playing "bomberos" (fire fighters).  We were at the park and he was running around with his boots on one day...  He said "I have to put my gear on! (as he pretends to get dressed), then "mommy put your gear on!  Put your phone down! (as I'm trying to take a video of his imaginative play)".  The video I thought I was taking turns out to not have been recording :(


Loves playing with his buddy, "Jake man", as he likes to call him.


Loving riding his bike...

Realized today that he can correctly identify twenty letters of the alphabet!  Still needing help with r, w, y, k, n, and q.

As I said each letter for his name he found them and we spelled his name together:

Says he likes "meat", but not chicken (referring to red meat, which he calls 'brown' meat).  Not very into veggies right now.  Still doesn't like potatoes in any form except for fries - not mashed, not red potatoes in stew, not sugary sweet potato pie on Thanksgiving even!  Has never been crazy about tortillas, which are such a versatile food from a mom's perspective, but I have started calling quesadillas "Mexican Pizzas" and he loves it.  Funny the games you have to play sometimes.

Caleb is getting sillier all the time...

Part of his silliness includes swapping out letters in words to make new words and silly sounding names for things.  He thinks he is pretty hilarious.  I like hearing him experiment with language and rhyming.

Jimmy called him a white "Urkel" when he saw this picture.  Totally made it up himself when I told him to pose for a picture with his new boots on.  Cracked me up.





No comments:

Post a Comment